Dawnguard is the first DLC release for Skyrim. Bethesda released the DLC on June 26th, 2012 with an exclusive 30 day play window for Xbox 360 owners. Here’s how to get going and choose your side in the Dawnguard DLC.
Download the Dawnguard DLC
- Navigate to Games → Titles A-Z → S → Skyrim → Extras → See all → Select Dawnguard DLC (last option to the right).
- Cost: 1600 points or $19.99.
- Size: 581.70MB
To begin the Dawnguard quest, you’ll need to activate it. Talking to guards should do the trick. As an example, my last save was in the Thieves Guild and upon exiting talked to the first Riften guard available which instantly triggered the Dawnguard dialogue and opened the quest. Talking to a companion also references Dawnguard with, “Something has shifted in the moons brother.”
How To Choose Vampire Lord or Dawnguard
- Enter Dayspring Canyon located east/southeast of Riften.
- Follow the path towards Dawnguard.
- Along the way, stop and speak with Durak to receive your crossbow.
- Speak with Isran, leader of the Dawnguard to complete Dawnguard and start Awakening.
Awakening occurs in Dimhollow Crypt located west of Hall of the Vigilant and northeast of Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon. From Hall of the Vigilant, the path to Dimhollow Crypt is down the path and to the left (if staring up the hill to the Hall it will be on your right).
- Enter the crypt and make your way through to its end.
- Push the button at the center of the area.
- Align the Braziers properly to raise the monolith. TIP: Follow the purple haze to unlock the pattern.
- Activate the monolith to release a Mysterious Woman (Serana).
- Speak with Serana to complete Awakening and start Bloodline.
Bloodline takes your travels to an area west of Solitude which is Serana’s home. The island is just northwest of Northwatch Keep.
- Locate the boat dock and travel to Castle Volkihar by boat.
- Speak with Lord Harkon about the return of his daughter Serana.
- He offers you a choice to become one of them (Vampire Lords) or be banished, but alive.
- Harkon offers to banish you and let you live because you’ve returned his daughter.
- If you’re a werewolf when you speak with Harkon, your form will be cleansed of the werewolf form and altered to vampire if you choose to join them.
- Don’t take too long deciding whether or not to join them. Apparently vampires are an impatient bunch and as such the choice will default to banishment if you wait too long.
After your choice, the new adventure begins either as a Vampire Lord or Dawnguard!
If you enjoyed or found this article useful, please show us some support by liking us on Facebook or by sharing us on your favorite social website. Thanks!
I have been playing skyrim on xbox 360 and when I talk to Florentius her gave me the rescuequest but when I go to fellglow keep the head vampire is dead but there is still a white arrow above him. There is no one in the basement to rescue and I am stuck.